The Road

The Road

Thursday, August 30, 2018

My R5

Been thinking about fixing up my 1971 Yamaha R5  for a few weeks now.It's been a long time since I did any service on this bike and I'd like to take it up to my camp in a few weeks .Gonna take the swing arm off and have a look at the bushings and pull the front end apart and check & lube the head bearings. I have some decent tires that I have been saving that I want to put on as well  and she needs a good tune up.The plan is to head up to my camp around the 20th of September in my truck with the R5 and my kayak in the back for three weeks and get some things done around the place.I also want to bring my paints and start painting again.Yesterday I found this beautiful ,very expensive,easel on the side of the road in a garbage pile ! It is in incredible condition , what a score.This is the second one I have found this year  so I'm going to leave one up there with some canvas and oils so I can paint on days when it's raining out like I used to do .I miss painting ,been over a year since I did any work. Just the other day I put a painting in an art show at the library in Greenlawn ,NY. Things are starting to happen again,I'm working on bikes,wanting to paint,traveling,and still working towards getting outta here and into a house out in Arizona. So,tonight the fun begins as I rearrange the garage and get the R5 out into the center where I can work on her.Had the 1966 Yamaha YM1 out the other night , think I'll get the 1969 DS6C out for a ride next but my main focus over the next week will be getting the R5 all sorted and ready for three weeks up in Northern NY. I love riding up there and the R5 is the perfect bike for that.She goes fast enough to go anywhere I want and also does real good on dirt roads so exploring is an easy and enjoyable activity. The Moto Guzzi did ok up there last month but the R5 is better in this environment . Well,it's going to be another very hot day here in Long Island.It's been above 90 F  for the past few days.It's high tide in the afternoon so I guess I'll be out in my kayak again for a third day paddling around and enjoying the  breeze out on the water.Saw a young eagle testing out it's wings yesterday just soaring and riding thermals as all these terns were dive bombing these schools of bait fish having lunch.It's summer and things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment