The Road

The Road

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Today I Ride (a 2 stroke)

Here we are in early winter in New York.The weather has been really warm and you know that I have been taking full advantage of that.This past Saturday I was out on 3 of my two stroke Yamahas cruising around town. Yesterday I had the T out for a great 4 hour ride. It was really warm out and sunny too so the T was the bike to take and do some distance.Today on the other hand is cool,temps in the upper 40's F so it's going to be a two stroke day.The plan is to head out to eastern Long Island and hit some good deserted back roads on my 1969 Yamaha DS6C.
It's early yet and the roads are still filled with assholes battling each other for 5 feet of roadway on their way to slavery so I'll wait a couple hours .This is how it is here in this suburban la la land.You have to pick your times to ride.There is a window between 10AM and 4PM where you can ride and actually enjoy yourself but before or after that it's really crazy here.They are texting while they drive these 7000lb suv's totally oblivious to what is around them.I'm on the high way in the HOV lane and I look over and see these idiots reading newspapers while they are going 75 mph It's scary out there.So,I limit my riding time to when the bulk of them are slaving away chasing their American dream fantasy of riches. There are some good roads to ride where I'm heading today and a 250cc two stroke is the perfect choice of machine to ride on them.I love this little bike.It's light and nimble .I can just throw it around with my weight and it responds like it's an extension of my body.It's fast enough to get on the interstate with .Back in the mid 70's I rode this very bike up from here in NY all the way to Newfoundland and back on a month long journey.That was a fun ride.Met the greatest people and camped in some really incredible places.In the 80's I was still traveling on my little DS6C.It had been stolen and I recovered it,found it in the woods all trashed.I got a couple parts bikes and put it back together to live another day and here it is up at my camp in the Adirondacks 400 miles from home.
This bike has been with me since 1971 or 72.I don't remember the exact year it's been that long ago.I like to travel on my strokes.I started way back in 1966 the day I rode my 100 cc Twin Jet 100 up to Boston from NY.I had been riding one year when I did that trip.Damn that was 49 years ago.I'll always travel on 2 wheels.Here is my 65 YDS3 on it's trip west to Los Angeles from NY in 1969 with me smoking a joint on the side of the road somewhere.I rode that thing 2 up across the country.
Ah,the good old days.But today will just be a short one day ride of maybe a hundred miles.No biggie,just a short ride to give my old girlfriend a workout .She sure is pretty isn't she
I've always traveled on my 2 strokes.My 1971 r5 saw a lot of action.This bike carried me all over the place from the mid 80's until I bought the Moto Guzzi 850-T in 2007
I still pack her up like a horse and go places .Last long ride on this one was in 2009 out to Mid Ohio .Well,it's warming up outside some now and it's almost safe to get on the road.It's 9:30 AM so I guess it's time to get ready,put on my leathers and ride my DS6C.

No comments:

Post a Comment