The Road

The Road

Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Waiting Game Revisited

The Waiting Game November 2015 So,I just came home from looking at this 850T.I never actually got to look at it.Got jerked around with this guys phone now working so after 4 try's I went riding .While out cruising around I thought about what I should do and decided I'd email him with an offer.I explained that it's a T and T's aren't what the collectors go after,which is the truth, so the fact that it's a non running bike with a seized motor makes it worth not as much as he's asking.I offered him 500 bucks .He got back saying he'd consider my offer which is a good sign.At least he didn't just blow off my offer and honestly I doubt there are people beating a path to his door for this bike at this time of the year .So,now the waiting game starts . If I get it I will have scored but paid him a decent price.If I don't get it,so what.It's not like I don't have any bikes to work on. Today: May 2016 It's Memorial Day Weekend now.Got up this morning and decided to adjust the Valves on the "T" and do some other odds & ends. Everything went smoothly and after walking my neighbors 17 year old dog for them so they could go out for the day I took a ride to road test the bike.I have a route I ride where there is no traffic,lots of curves and good scenery out thru Cold Spring Harbor,near where I live,and Lloyd Harbor.Sometimes I go to the west to Oyster Bay and out that way but today I chose the short version as my test track.I'm going thru Cold Spring Harbor on this little road that runs behind the shops when some guy waves me down. I stopped and he tells me he's the guy with the 850T that I made the offer on back in November.He says he recognized my bike from the photo I sent him when I made the offer.We talked for a while and he told me he's probably going to take my offer of 500 for the bike.He's crying about how he wishes he could get more and I politely explained that for me to be able to restore the bike and not spend more than it's worth doing it I can only go 500.You know,everything costs so much god damn money.Just 2 weeks ago it cost me 400 bucks just to make my front brakes work I'm telling him.He finally understands what I'm telling him.He really likes my "T" and asks me if when it's finished he can have first dibbs on it if I am selling it.So, it looks like I'll be bringing home another 1975 Moto Guzzi 850 - T in the near future.He's also got another Moto Guzzi,a Convert.It isn't running but the motor is not frozen solid like the T.I think I'll take pity on him and give him a day of my time and make it run for him so he can sell it for a little more and easier if this deal goes down.So,the waiting game is still being played. I love vintage motorcycles and the people who own and ride them !

No comments:

Post a Comment