The Road

The Road

Monday, July 25, 2022

Finally Moving Forward Again

 The past year has been really hard.You know , the covid and the economic slavery the rich are imposing on us all have really taken their toll. I'm fortunate to have the skills and the tools to make things happen for me on the cheap. This spring I got down to business with two projects I have been going on about,the 1970 Yamaha DS6C motorcycle and the 2000 Chevy S10 pick up. I worked them together  doing motorcycle work when it wasn't good to work outside on the truck and on nice days I got into the truck.I finished up the bike early on in the spring and got past all the issues with the electrical system.Made it a nice runner and told my friend it was ready to sell.He hesitated , had to go to Florida I'll get back to you in late May. Late May came then it was I'll come for it soon. I waited a month and put it up on Craigslist. No sooner than doing that he tells me he wants it.I wait a couple weeks email him and ask if he still wants it .A month goes by with no response.Meanwhile a guy from California sees the ad in NY Craigslist and tells me he wants it. He also has a friend who needs parts and the three of us start talking on the phone. I told the one who wants to buy the bike about the guy who says he's buying it but dropped off the face of the Earth and that I'm giving him until the end of the week to get back. Well he never got back and now the bike is going to Los Angles .No sooner do I commit to the new deal buyer #1 emails me and I give him the bad news.He's very disappointed  but hey,you snooze and you lose . So,I told buyer #1 I have enough parts to build another one exactly like it and now I wait for an answer.You know,it's a 52 year old motorcycle that is really nice and turn key .I feel I gave him every chance to take it and wasn't unreasonable selling it after a two month run around . The 2000 Chevy Truck part of the story is one of battle  and me prevailing. After getting the multi cylinder misfire code problem solved with all new ignition parts I dove into the brakes. I needed to replace all the rusted brake lines,flexible hoses ,rear drums, shoes , wheel cylinders missing springs ,front calipers,pads , and rotors . Everything was rust ! Before I could do the lines I needed to brush off all the loose rust under the truck and paint the whole underside with rustolium. This was a messy job but I got past it then did all the brake work. I also replaced all 4 shocks . Had to grind off the old ones because the bolts were rusted solid .After finishing the brak and shock work I turned my attention to the exhaust system . It was shot.I searched online and found a direct bolt in system for the rear part  but getting a CARB compliant cat was a real challenge .They were all like $1000 bucks and up plus shipping ! I looked and looked and finally found one that was $675 delivered . So,I went for it and for under a grand I replaced the entire exhaust system . Got it all together  no more check engine light and had it inspected. She's back in service and I'm really happy with my little Chevy. So for around $1500 I got this truck .I did have to build a motorcycle engine in exchange for the truck itself but that was more like play time down in the basement over the winter.I'm very happy with the outcome of both projects and am now thinking about the next bike to build and getting my 1976 Dodge Aspen and my 1971 Chevy C20 pick up sold.No longer need them now that I have this new little truck and the wagon is also starting to come together.It's running now and the transmission problem has been solved so it will be my back up vehicle. I'm starting to work on the body as time permits but it's been way too hot and I've been hanging out at the national seashore swimming in the ocean or going to a local beach here on the north shore at high tide and kayaking. Life is good

No comments:

Post a Comment