The Road

The Road

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

My 65 Valiant Station Wagon

So,I'm finally getting back to my 65 Valiant wagon.Seems like forever since I even looked at it but it's really only been since late spring.The last thing I did was the new clutch and the shifter rebuilding  thing.After months of fooling around with that dealing with bouts of vertigo when under the car, tripping and falling on my left hip,and struggling to get past these things I finally got it all back together. Took it in and got it inspected so she's legal to drive but still need to replace the steering box , pitman arm ,and idler arm . Today I attack !While recovering from the fall in the winter of 2021 I rebuilt two steering boxes down in my basement so I'm ready .I also bought an entire front end way back in 2007 when I last rebuilt the one that is in there now.I bought everything in duplicate figuring that it would only get harder and more expensive to get these parts as time goes on.I bought all good stuff ,MOOG parts .Back then they were made in America and top shelf stuff , not so today.Now they have that name but are Chinese garbage like just about everything else they pawn off on us so it turns out that I made a good decision back then.Replacing these 3 parts is just the beginning of the front end rebuild.I just want to tighten up the sloppy steering some so I can move the car back and forth to my friend Steve's house where we are going to rebuilt the whole car. I have good rust free body parts,front fenders,hood,lower valance , 4 doors ,rockers,and quarter panels to replace all the rusted body parts with.We plan on doing my wagon first as a warm up and then attack his 1965 Barracuda.This is the beginning of a long project that will be lots of work but also lots of fun so I'm happy about finally getting down to it. Went to a car show last weekend . Took a few photos there and also some of my wagon and Steve's Barracuda .








So now the fun begins ! It's a nice day here in New York today , clear and in the mid 50's F  .It's going to be nice all week and Thursday in the 60's so you know I'll be riding on Thursday . But,between now and Thursday I have two days to work on my wagon getting her road worthy so I can move her around rather than trailer her like we did back in the spring when I had to get the transmission back in and couldn't do it here because of the broken concrete in my driveway . That damn broken concrete , that's what I tripped on causing the hip injury I'm still dealing with today 2 years later .It was just too difficult which is why I was struggling all winter long with this and not getting anywhere.Got the car on a nice flat slab and I had the damn transmission installed in under an hour ! Finished up the paint job for my neighbor the other day.Don't think I'll be taking on much of that kind of work now with the way the economy is circling in the toilet so it's the perfect time to build a car and perhaps a bike too when it's too cold to be outside working on the car . Even though I'm retired and 73 years old I'll never stop working  , I love it too much even though I bitch and moan about it !


No comments:

Post a Comment