The Road

The Road

Saturday, October 29, 2022

The K100

 Took out the BMW K100 yesterday .It was a cool day and I like this bike in cool weather.Haven't ridden it since way back in June or early July .It makes lots of heat so it's not a good ride for summer unless one is traveling.Seems when I'm going 70 mph down the highway the heat just gets blown away but around town it's brutal.. On my ride towards the east I decided to stop in to see my old friend Tony who gave me this motorcycle.Haven't seen him in quite some time so it was good to spend an hour just catching up.It seems he has a problem with his Moto Guzzi .He has  a flat rear tire and  the bike is out east at a house he owns there for a year now.He tells me no one will fix it for him,they claim it's too old and bla bla  bla.It's a 1997 ! He told me this mechanic was telling him he would have to take the rear drive unit out to get the wheel off.What an idiot this guy is.It's so easy to dismount the rear wheel from the bike to fix so I told him I will go out with him and pull the wheel so he can take it in for a new tire then go back and remount it on the motorcycle.It really amazes me how dumbed down people have become . This guy is supposed to be a motorcycle mechanic and can't even figure out how to remove the wheel on a shaft drive motorcycle . Tony was happy to see his old BMW .When he gave it to me it has dead on arrival.It hadn't been run in 15 years or so and was stored with fuel in the tank. What saved it was it was stored inside but even with being stored inside everything inside the tank,the fuel pump ,filter,the gas level sensor,and all the wiring and lines were all rusted. I had to rebuild the entire fuel injection system . I also had to rebuild the brake system and figure out all the wiring and computer stuff.It was a real education for me and now I apply what I learned working on this motorcycle to cars like my wife's 2002 Honda Accord and my little 2000 Chevy S10. You see ,the 1988 BMW's systems are no different that what was used by car makers in the early 2000s .So I thanked my friend for giving me the opportunity to learn this with this motorcycle. We are both in out early 70's and still riding so when we get his Moto Guzzi back in service we'll go riding. This is what the inside of the tank looked like after I drained out the rusty murky brown colored gasoline. At this point I was thinking the tank was shot.Then to my surprise I discovered it was aluminium  so I washed it out with acid and it looked like new!



Then it was on to the rest of the injection system




After I was finished I had a pretty much new 35 year old motorcycle with 12,000 miles on it ! This was back in 2017 now it's 2022 and it has 26,000 + on it.It's been up to the Adirondacks twice ,to PA a few times , and Western New York State .I use it  . It's taken me some time to come to know it but now I'm at the point where I have confidence in it and my ability to deal with it. So today I ride it again.Gonna put on my leathers to keep warm on this cool late October day and go out and put a hundred or so miles on her.

Ain't she SWEET !



THANKS TONY !


1 comment: