The Road

The Road

Saturday, October 8, 2022

Home From The Mountains

 It was good to get up to the woods but the weather wasn't the greatest.The ride up went well.I took the 6 AM ferry to Bridgeport  CT from Port Jefferson NY to miss driving thru the city and the first hundred miles in darkness. The boat docked at 7:15 and it was daylight .The ride up to my place was good and I arrived at my place around 1:30 in the afternoon. Everything was as I left it a year earlier but some storms brought down a few trees in the woods.I had good weather the first day then the rain came.It rained all week on & off .Got kind of depressed and by Thursday when the sun finally returned I decided to head back south to home.I was running low on firewood and just sitting around so Friday I packed it all up and first thing Saturday morning I was on the road for home.It's always a roll of the dice this time of year up there but even though it was cold and wet I did enjoy being there.My little Chevy S10 did great.I got out and about in it all week going here & there.Bought a few sheets of plywood to make new boards to cover the windows and doors . I always board the place up so tree branches and falling trees can't smash the windows while I'm away . I brought up my old 2100 watt generator to use as a test.It died a couple years back so I brought it home and repaired it .Bought it new in 1986 at Sears and it saw serious use both up at the camp and at home during some week + power outages like when Sandy hit and last summer when this unnamed storm took the power out for 10 days. Well,it passed the test and did just fine for the week keeping the 12V battery charged so I had radio  and running the water pump so I could shower and do the dishes.That stream water sure is cold but after the first shock it's  kinda of refreshing . I did get to cook outside a couple times when the sun came out after the drizzle ended .I love cooking on the fire ,things taste so much better when cooked on an open fire .

 


Well , now I'm downstate in lala land . Well,I guess it's time to start running some ads and sell some stuff ! Went riding on my Moto Guzzi yesterday ,sure felt good to ride. I'm also hoping to get out in my Kayak some .I bought this cheap wet suit to keep me warm so I should be able to get in the water until the end of October with any luck.  

My new little 2000 Chevy S10 parked in my driveway up in the Adirondacks.

It was a lot of hard work bringing this truck back to life but now that it's able to go 1500 miles in a week with no issues I can say it was well worth the effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment