The Road

The Road

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Yesterdays Ride And Thinking About Tomorrow

 So yesterday it was beautiful outside and I went out on the K100 like I said I was going to do. The ride was great ! I ended up going for a 3 hour ride all over the place. Ended up at the beach for a short break then rode some more. I returned home around 3PM when the school buses hit the road. This is also when the number of assholes multiplies by a factor of ten. I have a window when I ride here in Long Island . I ride from about 10 AM until 3 PM when most of them are off the roads and working . It's my survival strategy . Now up in the Adirondacks I can ride as long as I'd like in summer which is one of the big attractions for me . The only problem up there is the number of days in the year one can actually ride due to the weather. The season is short , maybe five months and out of that time it rains about 60% of the time . I'm rethinking my plans on moving north for this reason and the fact that winter is just too brutal.  It's a problem I need to solve but not today.  Nope , today I'm thinking I'm going to work on a new painting or at least get ready to . Yesterday upon my return from my ride there was a package waiting on the porch. My new oil paints have arrived ! You see, I left my paints up in the Adirondacks at my camp thinking I would be returning in late September but didn't. I got buried under all this work I had to get finished here at home on the house so when I went to paint after feeling better from the Covid I couldn't. I'm excited . I bought these really nice oils  , Williamsburg hand made oils . I love this paint. The colors are really good for the paintings I do . So, it looks like I'm going to start painting again once my wife takes down the Christmas tree and decorations . They're in my way and I can't paint down in the basement because my inventory project has the basement all torn apart .




 There are 6 shelf units like this . This is the 1st one . These parts are all for 1965 /66 Yamaha YDS3/YM1. Cool bikes , 2 stroke road bikes .  Almost 60 year old twin cylinder machines that I have been riding  and restoring most of my life. I was planning on selling this stuff as a retirement business but I've come to the conclusion I waited too long and I just don't have enough time left on this Earth to accomplish this goal so I'm going to try to find a younger guy who wants to buy it in bulk . I may sell it as three lots designated by model . Who knows , I need to get it sorted first !  

This project is part of the first lot I'll sell.I have two of these and all the parts that are specific to this sub model that I'm going to start off with.

Then after the project Big Bear Scrambler stuff goes I'll focus on selling this bike , a 1966 Yamaha YM1 . A 305 cc two stroke twin . I have two of these and don't need two. The other one came from the same dealership where I bought my 1 st bike way back in 1965 when I was in 10th grade . It even came with all the paperwork from there , you know , bill of sale and so on signed by the guy who sat me on my first motorcycle . It's a keeper ! This will get sold along with the  remainder of the YDS3 /YM1inventory. This bike is the first bike I ever restored .Did that back in the late 80's /early 90's.


 It seems there are always these layers of stuff I have to work through before I can actually do what I want. It's hard and my time is getting short. Maybe I have ten good years in front of me or maybe I have ten minutes . At 75 this is how I think . Well , we'll see what today brings and not worry about the future. I love where I live . This little house has been one of the best things in my entire life.  It brought stability , prosperity , and good neighbors into my life .Who knows , maybe when my wife retires we will be able to stay .The pension and SS may be enough to carry us . If that's the case we can just carry on and  spend a little more time up at the camp where I can ride and work in the woods. That's really all I need at this point in life besides a couple of old motorcycles and cars to play with. So now it's off to get into something and make this a productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment