The Road

The Road

Friday, January 12, 2024

Mid January Riding

 Yes it's mid January now . We have had some nasty weather here in New York but no real snow yet.  Serious rain and wind have been on the menu weekly but it's been on the warmer side. I managed to get the side yard in front of my garage all cleaned out last week. I moved the wood stove I bought back in September or October  into the garage . This was no easy job doing it alone at age 74 but I managed. Once in the garage where I had cleared a space for it I completely cleaned it inside and out then oiled the whole thing to protect it from rusting while not in use. It's going up to the Adirondacks at some point this summer once I get someone up there to help me get it off the truck and up the hill to my building. Anyway , after getting this project finished I worked some in the basement on my motorcycle parts inventory. With some good luck I will get that mess all sorted out and find a buyer for it. I posted a notice about it on my motorcycle group and a couple guys showed some interest so we'll see what happens after it's all organized , repackaged , and inventoried . Today is a beautiful day here in New York with abundant sunshine and temps in the high 40's F . Yesterday was the same just a little cooler  and I got out for a ride on the Moto Guzzi 850-T . Sure felt good to ride. This was my first ride of the new year. The Covid prevented me from riding back in late December and early January. I needed to let myself fully recover from that crap before I could head out into the cold and ride. So today I ride the 1988 BMW K100RS for an hour or so . Life is pretty good these days even though it's winter. Snow is forecast for next Tuesday and cold weather starts moving in tomorrow so it looks like this is my last ride for a week or so. This is how it goes when one retires . If you don't keep busy you end up with dementia or some other shit . So I keep busy with my motorcycles working on them , riding them , sorting through parts for them , and restoring them. If all goes well with the inventory thing I may be able to get to the cool little 1975 Yamaha RD350 that my friend Pete gave me.

This will be a fun project. I built this bike about 25 years ago  for him out of a total basket case. I don't think he put 4000 miles on it since I built it so it should be an easy fix up rather than a restoration. The next owner can do that if he or she wants to. The bike just sat in the corner of his little garage wasting away. He was afraid to ride. Well some guys dream about it and some guys actually do it. Anyway , with some luck I'll have my other projects out of the way , there won't be any more disasters like last summer to deal with , and I'll actually have the time to do this so I can put it on the market and get it out of here. It's 10:45 AM here in NY and starting to warm up nicely.Should be warm enough to ride by noon so it's time for me to feed my tortoises  ,  have some lunch , get suited up in my leathers , and head out on this beast !




No comments:

Post a Comment