The Road

The Road

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

The Major Service On The Moto Guzzi Continues

 Back in the early summer before all this insane weather started happening I had planed to do a major service on my 1975 Moto Guzzi . I bought all sorts of parts that I wanted to change, tires, front fork components,  brakes, a brand new seat that I'm still waiting for, and all sorts of other stuff. So, last week I finally got to it with the carb rebuild and the charging system fix.It seems the front oil seal wore out and flooded the alternator with oil.This ruined the brushes and perhaps the stator as well by soaking the inside with oil.Lucky for me I have a few of these on the shelf so I changed it out and put on a new volt meter up on the handle bars so I can see the voltage as I'm riding now.After that I adjusted the valves and dropped the oil pan to have a look inside the bottom end of the motor.Found that all was good and very clean in there so I put it all back together with new gaskets and oil.Took it for a test ride Sunday and she runs great so yesterday I decided to put on the new rear tire. This job went well and I got to use the new tool I bought to pull the air fill stem through the hole in the rim. It worked ok but I need to get a better one.I went cheap just to try it and now that I know it's worth having I want one that will last.This one already started to show signs that it's breaking.The cable is beginning to break after one fucking use! Well,this is what you get for 8 bucks off Amazon. So, today I ride and tomorrow I do the new front brake pads. By the end of this winter I want this bike in good enough shape for a long cross country trip in case I have some good fortune and can actually afford to go on one. I love doing this stuff. This is the MG on a road trip. Nothing makes me happier than rolling down the road packed into the unknown!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment