The Road

The Road

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Plans Change

Yesterday I was getting ready to head north to my camp on the Moto Guzzi and today I'm working on the 1988 BMW K 100. Yes,plans change.The weather made me rethink my plan to go work on the camp.It was raining up north and going to get worse as the week progressed .Today the entire eastern half of New York State from bottom ,where I am now, to the very top,where my camp is,is getting soaked with heavy rain.Tomorrow is not much better and same goes for Friday up north.So,I decided to not take this trip.It would be a waste of time and money and besides,we are going up in the truck with my Yamaha R5 in the back later this month anyway so I can do the work then.The money I save by not going now can be used to get the BMW on the road ! Back in the spring I made her run and also bought the stuff I need to fix the front master cylinder so the brakes work right.Now it's time to get this project moving forward again.So,today I put the body work back together and get her nice and clean so I can take some photos for the insurance company then I can call them and get insurance so when we go up to camp later in September I can go to the DMV office up there and get her on the road.It's so much easier up there than down here . Here is what I did back in the spring . I started with a bike that had sat for 14 years with old gas in the tank. Everything inside that tank turned to shit and needed to be replaced after the tank was all cleaned out.I ended up with a tank that was as clean as new with all the components replaced with the correct stuff right down to the fuel injectors on the engine.I reused the injectors after cleaning them,everything else above then has been replaced with new.










Here is a short video I made of the initial start up after doing all this work. My good friend Juan gave me a new battery.He bought it for his bike but after we filled it with acid and charged it he realized it was the wrong one.It was too large for the box in his BMW R80 . He couldn't return it once filled . We checked it against the battery that came out of the K100 and it was the same so he gave it to me.
I got this bike running right around my 68th birthday and decided that when I turn 70 in two years I am going to ride it on another long trip like I did with the "T" back in 2010.So ,plans change and that's a good thing as long as there is forward motion. Today I work on this motorcycle .Yesterday I got the garage all ready,cleaned it,moved my other projects into the shed so I have room to work,got the "K" into position , and then went out for a nice evening ride on my 1975 Moto Guzzi 850-T. She's running real good these days,even better now with the new battery,new rear tire,and clean oil.It will be good to have a second long distance bike.Now when time permits I'll be able to restore my "T" because I'll be able to take her out of service long enough to do it right. Of course,this won't be happening anytime soon as I have a million other projects in front of it like moving to Arizona and all the work that is required to accomplish that goal like building bikes to sell for down payment money on a house there.But,as time marches on I do make steady progress towards this goal .It's pouring rain now.If I would have taken the 7 AM ferry I'd be riding in heavy rain getting soaked for the next 7 or 8 hours.This was the right call for sure !

No comments:

Post a Comment