The Road

The Road

Friday, September 8, 2017

The Finished Product ( The Flying Brick)

Yup,I finished getting the 1988 BMW K100RS back together the other day.I dug out all the parts and totally cleaned everything and polished it as I put her back together. It was the perfect day to do this,not really raining but damp and sprinkling some .Not a good day to ride for sure but a great day to wrench.So,slowly things went together.I fixed any problems I came across as I went and by late afternoon she was all back together and ready to photograph for the insurance company.I just needed to go out the next day and get a set of new bar grips. Woke up to a beautiful day Thursday and headed out on the Moto Guzzi to get the grips and ride a while.Found just what I needed at this gem of a bike shop called " Two For The Road " out on RT 112 in Medford , NY ph # 631 289 8470 . He's the only independent bike shop left here in Long Island that I know of.It's sad,there used to be bike shops like this all over the place but like everything else in this corporate never never land called USA they are all gone.Squeezed out by the big dealers who sell stuff the owner can't work on . Guys like me and bikes shops like this are a dying breed .But,He's still here and so am I. Anyway,I got the grips and upon my return home put them on .Rolled out the bike to photograph and took her up and down the street a few times to test .She runs GREAT ! I LOVE IT !! Here is the photo of the finished product of my long project that seemed like it would never end.
I'm glad I took my time and did this job right.It really paid off in the end when I put her in gear for that first ride up the street and everything worked as it should.She's solid as a rock and runs smooth as silk. Bone stock and ready to ride .So the plan is to register her when I head up to my camp in a couple weeks. It's easier to deal with DMV up in the country than down here in this insane asylum .Once I register her I will take her for a short ride around town to test and then buy new tires and mount them.At that point she will be finished and roadworthy . It's been a good couple of days.Way better than taking a 400 mile ride in the rain and sitting in my camp in the rain .I was productive and also had fun. I'll get the work done on the stream in late September and after I put this bike on the road I'll get back to building the sellers to get the down payment money for that house out in Arizona.This bike will be my "Out West " bike . Water cooled ,fuel injected ,and capable of doing long distances fast in the heat of summer.The right machine for my next phase in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment