The Road

The Road

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Never Ending Engine Swap part 2

Here I am again back in the garage .After a day of pulling the bike apart and getting everything organized I took two days off from the project to ride. We had some really nice weather here in New York for the weekend with temps in the lower 50's F and abundant sunshine so on Sunday I went out on the BMW K100 for a nice 115 mile ride and yesterday on Monday I took the Moto Guzz 850-T out and rode all over the place for the whole day.I did do some prep work on the spare motor I'm putting in the bike at night keeping the project moving forward. Did lots of cleaning , pulled off the clutch , the armature , the pistons , and took the crankshaft oil seals out . Last night I put in the new oil seals ,gave the cleaned up pistons new piston rings ,installed the clutch and armature and ignition yoke. The project is moving along smoothly as you can see here.






Today I start to button it all up. I start off by checking to be sure all the nuts and bolts are tightened properly then I will put the top end together followed by the clutch side outer case cover and the oil pump.If all goes well it should be a running motorcycle by Wednesday .Been also selling auto parts while doing this job so I spend time boxing things and going to the post office to ship things .Today a floor shift unit for a 1965 Plymouth  Barracuda is going out to some guy in Texas.I'm selling off all sorts of vintage auto parts I no longer need and I'm building the down payment fund with the money. Everything I do is aimed at getting to Arizona now. This bike is part of that too and once she's a good runner again with the original motor all fixed she will get sold and this motor I'm putting in now will be fully road tested and put into its original frame as I build another motorcycle to also sell off. That one will not be a restored bike, just a rider built with the parts that are still good but not good enough to use on the restored one. It will have that patina that the younger crowd look for.I don't get it but they all seem to like rust and crappy original paint & chrome .Well, now it's off to mail the package and then out to the garage for another day of wrenching on this rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment