The Road

The Road

Saturday, February 29, 2020

The Never Ending Motor Swap part 3

It's all back together ! Buttoned it all up last night after dinner and now I am going to put gas in the tank and fire her  today.It was a long drawn out job that seemed to drag on due to various problems I encountered along the way.The oil pump had issues . The original one had a hair line crack that I didn't notice until I tightened it down and the mounting tap broke off ! This led to a full day of fooling around with oil pumps.The replacement pump didn't want to bleed for some reason.I kept trying to bleed it but couldn't get oil into one of the feed lines so I had to pull it off and try another.The third pump worked alright but after I installed it I noticed the pulley where the cable attaches was different than the original so I had to remove it yet again and change out the pulley . Finally got it all sorted out , did the bleed ,saw it was pumping correctly and then set the adjustments . Once the pump was all set up things went smoothly as I put the carbs on and balanced them , hooked up all the wires ,set the timing,put on the exhaust system and the tank & seat. So today I ride her in the neighborhood as I test everything before taking her out on a good hundred mile ride and get her inspected.Once she's back in service I will tear into the original motor ,see what is broken in the kick start system and fix it..This could take some time. I have to completely take the engine and transmission apart to deal with this.But,on the positive side , the bike will be back to original again with a fully rebuilt motor and ready to be sold. I need to get this sold so I can ride out west this August. It costs a lot of money I don't have to go wandering  so this is how that gets bankrolled.
I just gassed it up and got it started. The motor sounds good but I still have some carb issues to deal with to get her running right. I'm in home stretch now !

No comments:

Post a Comment