The Road

The Road

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Phase Two

Now that the 1966 Yamaha is all back together with the spare motor installed and running right I have moved to phase two ,the fix of the original motor.Yesterday I put it on the bench and attacked it !

I started by looking closely at the transmission inspecting the gears .Everything looks good with it.There are no signs of fatigue in the gear teeth and it all works smoothly. I got out my service and parts manuals and read that these kick start gears broke so after serial number 20 thousand something they started using a heavier set of gears that will interchange with the earlier ones.Both my motors are early with numbers in the 11 and 16 thousand range so I looked some more in later model manuals and found they continued using these same gears thru the DS6 series bikes that were produced in 1970.I have lots of these ds6 motors so I have plenty of these gear and kick shaft units .The earlier ones were thinner with more teeth  closer together which made them weak.

As you can see here the one on the left is heavier duty. So,I dug out all I needed from my inventory and tore into the motor.
After removing the crankshaft assembly and transmission I discovered that the transmission bearings are marginal at best and one had a small amount of rust happening on it so decided that I will have to replace the bearings.Since I'm replacing all the transmission bearings I also decided I'd replace the two outer crank bearings .This will give me a really good motor when I'm all finished so that whoever buys this bike will get years of good service out of her.So now this project is stalled out while I sell off some auto parts to get some money to buy new bearings.Last night I listed an aftermarket slant six 4bbl intake manifold  for sale on this Chrysler site I'm on.It will bring $250. in to pay for any parts I need for this bike and probably get me started on the next one.
Well,now it's time to get out into the garage and dig up some more parts to sell off.  Gonna be nice out tomorrow and even nicer on Monday . You know where I'll be , RIDING !

No comments:

Post a Comment