The Road

The Road

Saturday, January 14, 2023

It's Just One Thing After Another

 It seems to never end .I wanted to get started on my wagon but had to try to fix the transmission  in my wife's  '02 Honda Accord.It went from bad to worse with that dog so I decided to get another car. Looked and looked . It's insane out there.People are asking 5000 bucks for cars with 200 thousand miles on them ! Finally I came across a car we could afford,a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire . What a crap box but it was cheap enough for me to be able to fix it up for her and still end up only spending 3000. It needed front end work . I gave it new struts,wheel hubs, sway bar  bushings,brakes , and some other odds & ends . It seemed like a never ending thing even though it only took a  week to play out fixing it.Most of the week was waiting on parts .But it wasn't really a week because of all the crap with the Honda  and the search for the replacement car.It was three and a half weeks of hell ! I had to drive her to work every morning on a 40 mile commute at 6 AM then turn around and get back home at 8 AM . She would take the train home in the afternoon and I'd pick her up at the station . I'd spend my days working on this car and my Chevy  S 10. Oh yes I almost forgot , it took a crap the day after Christmas ! The fuel pump went south. Now I finally have time to get to this project .I ended up using this old 1976 Dodge Aspen I have as our only transportation  for this month long event. It did the job just fine and is still doing the job for me as I fix the truck. When I went to change the fuel pump I saw rust holes in the top of the tank so now I'm replacing the fuel tank as well as all the steel lines so I get rid of that damn Evap code.It never ends ! Well,maybe it does end but it sure doesn't feel like it does. So this is my life these days .I turn 74 soon and I'm watching my savings just evaporate before my eyes as I pour money into this seemingly bottomless pit . Everything is so damn expensive.I'm at my limit .Yesterday I decided that I have to search for work. It sucks going back into the labor market at age 74 but what else can I do.Retirement isn't happening for me now. So my rant is over. Today I'm going to finish pulling the fuel tank out of my little S10.My wife is back on the road in her not so new crap box and it seems we are having a warmer than normal January so things aren't really all that bad for me outside laying on the ground under the truck.It could be worse is what I keep telling myself. Usually when I go thru one of these rough patches it's followed by a long roll of good  so I'm going to keep that in my head . It's a new year and I'm still upright and healthy .  The guy who I sold this nice little Yamaha DS6C to  emailed me yesterday to tell me he finally received it . I shipped it on Dec 2 and he got it on Jan 11 . He's happy with it so that made me feel good . Thinking about selling this gem next . 

I've had it almost 35 years now so it's time.   So, it seems motorcycles have bailed me out again , or are at least beginning to. I always said that motorcycles were the most positive force in my life and how they have opened up so many doors for me . Well , it looks like they may be opening up another one of those doors  . We'll see what this new year brings .  Happy New Year !


No comments:

Post a Comment