The Road

The Road

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Another Painting

It seems I'm on a roll lately.We had some really crappy weather so I was sort of stuck here and looking for stuff to do.Worked some on the motorcycle engine I'm building for my friend Paul. Back in the beginning of the winter he gave me his wife's old 2000 Chevy S10 pick up truck in exchange for me putting together a motor for this 1975 Yamaha RD350 he's building.The truck needs but used trucks start at 3500 bucks and for that you get something not much better than this one so I figure I can fix it all up and end up ahead. It was running ok so I used it a bit then one day it lost power.I put in new spark plugs  but it still only ran on 2 cylinders.bought new plug wires and installed them with no change.Then I bought new coils and still had no luck so I was thinking it could be a bad fuel injection system or the motor could be shot. Thought about it long and hard and looked at new motors.I could do that for 1900 bucks and still be way ahead . One afternoon between rain storms I pulled out the new spark plugs to do a compression test.To my surprise number 2 and 3 cylinders weren't firing at all.The plugs were in as new condition.So,I did the compression test and the motor is ok and I did some research .Found that the 2 & 3 cylinders fire on one coil and 1 and 4 fire on the other.I also read that only two things can cause both cylinders on the same coil to not fire, a bad coil(mine are new) and a problem with the ignition control module .Then more reading gave me possible causes for this failure.I checked the wiring and it was all good with no corrosion on any of the plugs so it had to be the module itself .Got a new one ordered and put it in ,hit the key and it runs GREAT ! so now it's on to a new exhaust system ,new shocks ,and a complete brake system overhaul . Like I said,they go for 35 hundred and up and then they need work too so with all this work I'm doing I'll end up with a good little truck for around 2 grand.I'm a happy camper ! So happy that I took a couple days off from the truck work and did another painting .I call this one " Early Spring Thaw" It's oil on canvas 18  X 24 .



No comments:

Post a Comment