The Road

The Road

Friday, April 5, 2024

So Now It Begins

 You know , when I start new projects for a trip there is always an overlap with something I'm already doing.This upcoming adventure is no different. Yesterday I went to Home Depot with my neighbor and ordered some new cabinets for the small kitchen that I am building for him in his basement. I started this project a couple weeks ago while he and his wife were in Florida at their other house. This job will probably be the last construction job I do but one never knows . There was a kitchen there but it was real crap so we decided to rip it all out and start fresh. Here are some photos of the beginnings of this job. This is the path to getting the parts needed to fix up my Moto Guzzi for my trip south this autumn. See, the overlap is just like back in 2014 when I was building the rooms in Pete's attic and back in 2009 at Jason's house when I went through it so I could go on a 14000 mile motorcycle trip out west .The trips are the reward for me .Those months on the road free make getting involved in these projects worth all the effort that goes into them.


                                              Working out in my backyard on a door for this job

                                              I used to shlep this saw all over the place to jobs 

                                              now it lives in my yard and the work comes to it

                                          


So now I wait for the cabinets and for John to get a plumber to deal with the under sink issues . Today is sort of nice out, somewhat cold but sunny so my mind is telling me to go ride. Sitting here waiting for it to warm up enough to actually do this I'm listening to this Radio Paradise thing on my stereo and looking at parts I'm going to need to get for the 850-T. It's new clutch time and this is what I'm going to install in my bike:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1698

I have one in there now but it's tired .Seems like oil got on it and it sometime slips under load in 5th gear so it's time.Can't really complain, I got over 75000 miles out of it so it doesn't owe me anything. This is how it begins .It's April,I want to head out in the third week of September so it's time to get to it.Gotta sell a bike and my 66 Valiant convertible so there is plenty of money around. Can't deplete the buying a house fund to go play but I still need to go play ! What good is life if one can't do as he pleases? I think I'm going to sell the BMW K100 RS 


 This bike should bring me enough to fund this trip and besides, as I got older it has become more and more difficult to ride .It's too damn tall and pushing it around  has become a real pain in the ass for me with my fucked up hip. The Moto Guzzi however is another story.I have no problems riding it .It's somewhat lower and lighter making it my bike of choice for most rides I go on these days. The K100 has been fun and I had many good trips on her but it's time to pass her on to someone younger. So now Spring has started to show her face and it's time for me to get to the things that really matter to me . MOTORCYCLES !





No comments:

Post a Comment