The Road

The Road

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Burning Wires And Melted Insulation

Yesterday I decided to have a good look at the Moto Guzzi to find out why the signals were doing funny things. 4 hours later it was all back together and fixed  but what went on in those 4 hours was really fucked up.I opened up a real can of worms when I took the headlight off to look at the wiring connections in the headlight bucket.I saw a small bit of wire with melted insulation.It was really small ,only about a quarter of an inch but I had to look into it so I cut open the sheath with a razor blade. I saw more and followed that bundle of wires out of the bucket to see they were going to the handle bar control switch .I pulled off the instrument cluster so I had room and cut the length of that bundle of wires right up to the switch Everything was stuck together with melted plastic wire insulation and there were wires exposed and touching each other .I found the problem  but had no other switch unit so I had to rebuild what I had.After carefully getting the wires apart I saw only three were melted.They were the three that go to the directional signal button.I took the switch apart and the internal workings were still fine.The melting ended about 3 inches from the switch and was worse as I worked towards the headlight bucket where all the connections are. Something down there was shorting these three wires. So I replaced one wire at a time soldering the splices and taping them all up then went into the bucket and started fooling around with all the other connections.I found a couple that were questionable so I cut and spliced in new wire and put on new connectors. Got it all done and then had to figure out how to get the inside of the switch back together.It is a multi. function switch that works the headlight,horn,and signals . There is no room inside this thing . After fooling with it for the better part of a half hour I figured it out and got it back together.Hooked up the battery ,turned on the key ,so far so good I was thinking. The signals and everything else worked ! But as I moved wires around in the bucket to make room for the headlight the signals stopped working. I kept the key on and giggled wires until they came back into service then opened up those connections I found causing this and dealt with them. Now she's fixed  and all I have left to do is put the instrument cluster back in place  and wrap the handle bar switch wire bundle with tape. So , today I ride !

No comments:

Post a Comment