The Road

The Road

Friday, November 22, 2019

When I Was Young

This was me 51 years ago !  I was 19 years old . Crazy shit from where I'm standing now but these were the times I grew up in and this is what we did.Actually I think this is where the inner strength that it took to change my life in the mid and late 70's came from although at the time I had no idea that I was even changing . But I was , quit LSD in 1972 ,alcohol in 1975 and pot by the early 80's was wearing thin and out of my life by 1985. The only constant in my life has been motorcycling . It saved my ass more times than I can count. Everything changes when I throw a leg over that seat and fire up that motor. Problems melt away I focus and there is nothing else. It saved me from all this crap and kept me free and happy my entire adult life. Motorcycles have been my salvation  along with art !
https://edward-theilmann.pixels.com/featured/discorporated-reality-edward-theilmann.html
                                
                                              Canton Agricultural and Technical College

My arrival in Canton ,New York in September of 1968 was an eye opener. This school was all farm kids and it was like going thru a time warp back into the early 1950's! It was like they didn't know the 60's were happening . When I put on a Janis Joplin record in the student union they all wanted it turned off.Go figure!Well I did manage to find the few kids that did know what was going on and smoked grass.This one kid from Syracuse was an acid head too!
One weekend in mid October I bought this acid from this kid from Syracuse and was going to drop that night.He told me it was this stuff called STP . I had heard something about this stuff but not much so it was an unknown. He told me to just take half 'cause it's real strong shit.
Went out drinking that night and dropped the acid about 10 pm. waited 2 hours and nothing so I took the other half waited another couple hours and still nothing so I figured I got burned. Went home to my rented room and went to bed.
I have no idea when I actually got off 'cause I was sleeping when it came on and deep in my subconscious . What I can say about the first hours is that it was really strange. I didn't exist I wasn't experiencing it but there was a brightness brighter than the sun and that's all there was . I was it , it was me and everything else all at the same time. 



My first thoughts of anything happened in the morning and that was complete terror. At first I thought I had died or was completely insane. There were fish swimming around the room and the wallpaper was glowing and undulating as the windows and door moved from place to place. This went on for what seemed like hours as I lay there immobilized . Then all the faces of everyone in my life came before me and the important ones talked to me as if they were there and knew exactly what was happening. I looked over across the room at the mirror on the dresser and I saw myself all covered in thick black hair.Figured this is how I am now and reached for a comb and started combing the hair.As I combed it disappeared so I combed it away just leaving it where I thought it should be.. Finally got out of bed.Saw the door open and could see into the next room so I started to walk to the next room only to walk into the wall.There was no door to the other room !
Back in bed watching the dots of color blink on the wallpaper I started to accept the fact that I bought the farm on this trip. I had tripped lots in the year leading up to this trip and never had one like this so I must be crazy. As I lay there I sort of calmed down and
started to get into this new space my mind was in. 



An hour or so later I got up and walked around the room and wasn't as shaky and felt hungry so I decided to walk down the street to the small diner on the corner. To do this I had to walk past the county court house. Major paranoia set in as I thought everyone was looking at me and knew I was full blown bonkers.
Made it to the diner and ordered a hamburger and coke.That was the only thing I could think of . It took everything I had to do this. The waitress was a girl from school that I had seen around and kinda knew something was off with me but was cool. She brought me my food and as I bit into the burger I was hallucinating blood gushing out of it all over the place! It was very disturbing but it tasted good so I kept eating. Just then a state trooper walks in and sits down at the counter next to me. I freaked! I looked at him and he said hello then asked why I wasn't at the big keg party going on down by the river on campus. I told him I had been there but got a little drunk and needed to sober up . As I was saying this to him his sun glasses were blinking red and green like traffic signals. It was all I could do not to just start laughing but having dealt with the police so many times in the past I instinctively knew what to do and kept my mouth shut. His order came and he said good buy and don't drive.
Now finished I had to pay but I didn't know what to do with money. I saw other people going up to the register and giving this paper to the girl so I figured I'd do the same. I gave her a whole wad of money ,maybe 30 dollars for a 3 dollar bill. Lucky for me she was honest and took what the bill was and gave the rest back .As I was leaving she told
me to go home before I got hurt.
Walking down the street I saw what appeared to be midget hippies in fringed suede

jackets! They didn't exist and I ran down the street and back home. It was late Saturday afternoon now and I was a full day into this trip with no end in sight. Sunday morning I ventured out again. I was still blasted out of my mind but more comfortable with it and somewhat more able. I got something to eat and had a basic understanding of what to do with money . Walked around town some and went down by the river and sat on this bench just watching the world go by. It was kinda cool now and I was enjoying being crazy .
Hours were going by like a flash and minutes like hours . I felt like I was coming down somewhat and realized I was tripping for two days now. I also realized that if I got drunk I would be able to come down so that's what I did.
I drank a pitcher of beer at the bar I hung out at and felt better .Then the guy I bought this stuff from came in.He took one look at me and started laughing ." I told you not to do the whole thing" he said and we got drunk together in Billy's Bar in Canton , NY .
During this trip is when I first started to write. I wrote all about what was going on during that trip.It was the strangest thing,I forgot how to write and it slowly came back.I got as far as printing and that was it.To this day I still don't write in script and this was over 50 years ago ! That first journal was taken by the school after they searched my room.I had written my friend Melinda a letter about this wild trip and she wrote back about some of the acid they were taking out in the mid west where she was in school but the letter must have fallen out of my books and got dropped on the street where a nun picked it up and had the nerve to open and read it. She sent me this letter telling me I was in the clutches of the devil .I think she also informed the school. I left town the day I got her letter. Just stuck out my thumb on a cold snowy afternoon in November 1968 and headed to New York City where I caught a train to Long Island never to return to Canton Agricultural and Technical College. Nine months later I was heading west to Los Angles on my motorcycle .The journey had begun  and still continues to this day ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment