The Road

The Road

Monday, April 19, 2021

The Fun Has Begun

 Last Monday I started ripping apart my friend Steve's house with him.We spent 3 days ripping the place apart and building temporary supporting walls to hold up the attic floor and ceilings in the rooms we are working , getting materials ,and building this massive beam and installing it .It started out looking like this



After the first day it was looking like a construction site and the dumpster was starting to get loaded with debris. We got the temporary walls in place then cut the ceiling to expose the framing we were going to replace and give Steve access to all the wiring . Steve's an electrician .We work together on jobs whenever I need electrical work done and work well together so this job is fun.He saved up his time off from his transit authority job as an electrician to do this project so for the next month we are going at it with all we can.















So,after opening up the ceiling and building our temporary support walls on each sine of the wall we were tearing down  the first day was finished. Spent the next day tearing off sheet rock from the walls so he can do the electrical and then went to the lumber yard to get all our framing lumber to start building this triple 2 x 10 beam to hang the attic floor on. The week went well and on Friday we were building and installing the beam on top of the old existing wall we will be removing .


 












So,after getting it all secured we took down the supporting walls and the remains of the old wall we were replacing with this beam and created a really nice open space for the new look  that we are bringing to this house.Instead of these three confining rooms we are now going to have an open floor plan . This is where we were on Saturday when we finished it up for the week 




So now Steve has a full week ahead of him to get the electric all sorted out and where he wants it before I start  with insulation ,sheet rock, and spackle & tape  . The new cabinets arrive the beginning of June so we have plenty of time to get the space all finished and ready for that phase of the job.This week the floor guy is coming by to have a look and the plumber is due for a visit as well. It's fun building a new kitchen !  Today I ride ,I'm free for the next week so I'm going to do things here like work on the neighbors shed some , do some more yard work , and ride a little.If time permits I'm going to replace the 4 speed transmission in my wagon with another one I have to get that problem solved too. I miss my wagon .It's a nice day today and an even nicer one is on tap for tomorrow so it's motorcycle time for me now.It's nice being retired . I get to make the choice when I do what I do now .

No comments:

Post a Comment