The Road

The Road

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Converting To Dual Exhaust

 So now that the nice little 273 V8 is installed in the Barracuda we are starting to set up the exhaust. These cars came from the factory with a single exhaust system only. There was a low performance version and a high performance version but both were single.To run dual exhaust and have the pipes run the way they should correctly we need to alter the transmission cross member that the rear mount is attached to.By doing this both pipes will hang nice and close to the bottom of the car where they belong instead of the passenger side hanging lower than the drivers side. So,this was the job for yesterday.We took two cross members  and made one into a part that will work according to what the manufacturer of the new exhaust system says. They sent a diagram so we made a paper template , layed it out  , and with a plasma cutter cut it out. After we had the material removed we decided to take the curved part we needed out of another cross member rather than fool around bending .Over the years I parted out many of these cars so I have a few of these parts on hand to use. So in these photos you can see what we did.







Next week we start hanging the pipes and button up this motor job. Today I ride. Gonna take out my little 1969 Yamaha DS6C for a ride and get her inspected  finally.

 


 It's a cold morning here in NY but sunny with temps in the high 40's F so I'll dress for it and start getting used to winter riding. We have a good weather forecast from now until the end of the week so I'll be riding some when not wrenching. Speaking of wrenching I took the clutch disk into a clutch shop to see if it could be re lined.He says he can do it but the cost is more than a new one so it looks like I'll be ordering a new clutch disc and rebuilding the later unit that is currently in the bike instead of the older one that is on the shelf. I'm gonna play around with the adjustment some to see if I can get it to not slip so I can use it over the winter while I gather what I need to do the job.To replace the  disc I need to take the motor out of the bike.This is a big job , been there done that so I know what I'm in for.Well,it's Saturday morning,the sun is shinning and want to ride. This is what it looks like pulling the motor out of a 1975 Moto Guzzi 850-T 




This is all fun stuff to me !


No comments:

Post a Comment