The Road

The Road

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Forward Motion Again



Well it seems like I'm starting to come back to life after that awful trip up to my camp. It's been over a week now since I went up and saw that mess.Went to the ocean  and relaxed, went riding lots on my BMW too. Sunday while out on the BMW K100 the clutch cable broke. Fortunately I had a spare with me and a 3 foot long piece of bailing wire coiled up in the tail section storage compartment. You see,back when I was learning about working on this bike I found this online forum where I read about how to use a piece of wire to pull a replacement cable up under the gas tank to the control lever. 

https://www.k100-forum.com/forum 

By doing it with the wire connected to the bottom of the old broken cable you now have a way to pull up the new cable in the same exact position as the cable you just removed without taking half the fucking motorcycle apart like this. 

 


Well, I remembered this trick and kept what I needed with me and used it on Sunday on the side of the road. It took me about 45 minutes to do the job and all was good again and I was on my way. This was the turning point! Something went right, the next day I rode the Moto Guzzi. Didn't want to ride the BMW until a new spare clutch cable is ordered and delivered so I have a spare onboard again. After riding the Moto Guzzi I decided it's time to do a major service on it so Monday night I started. I'm going thru the bike right now.  I'm almost finished with cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, the K&N air filters have been washed and oiled , fixed the rear brake light switch, took the throttle assembly all apart and cleaned out all the old stiff grease & lubed the two cables. Today I finish the carbs get them installed and turn my attention to a valve adjustment. When that is finished I road test it and get it good and warm before dropping the oil and pulling off the oil pan to have a look. Dropping the pan is something that should be done on a regular basis and I've been putting it off so it's a must do thing at this point. When the motor work is finished it's time for new tires and front wheel bearings, then I'll do the front end. I love doing this shit! I really want to get my favorite ride back into good shape so that next year I can use it to travel on. 


 

This years travel plans have been canceled due to the mess up at my camp but I'm not going to let that stop me from getting my bikes back into really good running order. Still searching for a riding partner too but not letting not having one stop me from riding. So, there is forward motion again and I have the 1971 Yamaha R5 to ride. Life is still good even though it threw me a curve ball.


This bike has bailed me out more times than I can count. Old Reliable comes to the rescue again! You know, I bought this bike when my DS6C was down in 1985 as a back up. I paid $ 185. for it and have probably put on well over 140,000 miles on her over the years. So basic and so easy to work on and ride.She took me out to Mid Ohio fully loaded with gear 600 miles on interstate 80 THIRTEEN times !



No comments:

Post a Comment