The Road

The Road

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Saturdays Work

Saturdays Work: Mike called about 10AM and asked if I needed a hand so I gave him directions to Paul"s house and headed out for the day.I got the bike disassembled before either one of them walked into the shop and when they arrived we figured out how we were going to proceed.On this motorcycle you remove the bike from the motor.The motor itself is a frame member.So, to do this you need to take apart the whole rear end and the sub frame that connects the rear section to the main section and the motor.Once this and all the wires and hoses are removed from the the motor leaving the motor on a jack of some sort(in my case a transmission jack with casters) so you have full access .
So, we decided to hang the bike from the ceiling and work on the motor right underneath it! While Mike and I lifted the rear of the bike letting the front wheel pivot in the work bench Paul took tie downs and hooked the back that we were holding up high to a hook in the ceiling. Then we were free to work our magic on the engine and transmission freely.Paul milled a socket to make a special tool to get the clutch hub off the trans input shaft and Mike and I pulled off the old oil soaked transmission and clutch.The clutch was really fucked and that's where the metal particles in the oil were coming from.The hub worked loose again and as it wandered back & forth in the the seal it carried these particles into the transmission.But,rather than take that chance and just replace the clutch we decided to put in the new (used low mileage) unit I had bought . I don't want to know about it! I'll tear the old one down and check it before I ever use it again just in case this theory is wrong.
After spending the whole afternoon setting up the new clutch and installing the transmission on the motor we decided we'd put the bike and motor back together so I could work on it by myself if need be on Sunday.Here it is at the end of the day on Saturday
Cool Huh ! Saturday was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment